I thought it would be fun to give a final reckoning on how we did on our list, and to publish this year's list. Because yes, we kept the tradition this year, and this year the kids were 100% into it, and got genuinely excited about some of the items we put on the list.
So, here's how we did on 2013's list:
- Ride a surrey bike again (me). We did this one in Coronado in March, and a good time was had by all.
- Go to the aquarium (Pumpkin). We went to the Birch Aquarium a couple of times. The kids' favorite part is their outdoor patio that explores renewable energy.
- Go to the dinosaur museum (Pumpkin- she is referring to the NAT, or the San Diego Natural History Museum, in Balboa Park). We not only visited this museum, we became members!
- Hike to the top of a hill or mountain (Mr. Snarky) We did not get this one done.
- Go visit Mimi and Boppa again (Petunia). We spent Thanksgiving at their house!
- Go to New Zealand to see Nonna, Poppa, and Aunt S. (Mr. Snarky and I had to suggest it, but once the kids realized it was a possibility, they were excited.) We took our family vacation in New Zealand this year, and had a great time.
- Take a family trip to Orange County (me) I think our trip to Disneyland qualifies!
- Pick a day and watch TV all day long (Pumpkin) We did not do this. I'll confess that I didn't go out of my way to remind Pumpkin about this....
- Go to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (me) This was our first family fun trip of the year.
- Go to Legoland (Mr. Snarky) We decided to swap in a trip to Sea World, instead, because they ran a good deal that got the kids in free. We've decided not to do that again- although Sea World is much closer to us than Legoland, we like Legoland better.
- Go camping (Mr. Snarky) We didn't get to do this- we had plans to, but didn't get organized in time.
- Explore a new neighborhood in San Diego (me) We snuck this in at the very last minute- we took a family outing to Ocean Beach last weekend. We hadn't been there since before Pumpkin was born, so I think this counts.
So- we hit 8 out of 12 in the first year, 9 if you count the swap in of SeaWorld for Legoland. I thought that was a pretty good effort. The grown ups were a bit more strategic in their picks for 2014. Given that and the fact that the kids now get the concept, I think we'll do even better in 2014.
Here is our 2014 list:
- Go to Legoland (Petunia)
- Go ice skating (Pumpkin)
- Go fishing (Mr. Snarky)
- Ride a surrey bike again (me- I am going to pick this every year until the kids are too old to agree to do it! It is just downright fun.)
- Buy ice cream from an ice cream truck (Petunia)
- Go camping (Pumpkin)
- Buy donuts at a donut shop (Mr. Snarky)
- Visit the new downtown library (me)
- Walk on the beach and collect shells (Petunia)
- Hike to the top of a hill or mountain (Pumpkin)
- Go on a boat ride (Mr. Snarky)
- Go to the dinosaur museum (me- we have a membership, after all!)
Part II of this post will be a report on my 2013 personal fun list and the unveiling of 2014's list. I'm still working on that one- I only have 10 out of 12 items picked out.