I liked that tradition, too, so I've decided to keep it as well as the family fun list.
Here's an accounting of how I did on last year's list:
- Buy some new underwear, already (Done! In January, and boy, did it make me happy.)
- Have a weekend away without the kids or my husband (I spent two days and one night in San Francisco visiting one of my best friends, and it was wonderful.)
- Catch up on William Gibson's books (Done! And I really enjoyed them. Pay no attention to the sidebar that says I'm reading Zero History. I finished that ages ago. I should just delete those sidebars at this point, I so rarely update them.)
- Clean up the top of my dresser and jewelry box, and fix the jewelry that needs fixing, so that maybe I'll start wearing my jewelry more often. (Done! And I have been wearing my jewelry again, which makes me happy. I even bought some new earrings in New Zealand.)
- Get a personal shopper and sort out the foundations of my wardrobe, so that I can be happy when I get dressed again (Not done, and by the way I kept putting this off, maybe not something I really want to do? I don't know.)
- Take a bubble bath (Done! Several times. But I honestly think I wouldn't have taken a single bubble bath in 2013 without this item on a list to remind me to do it.)
- Take a San Diego beer tour with Mr. Snarky (Not done- we could never get the timing to work out.)
- Make a mix CD or playlist with new music that I like (Not done- I got about half way through selecting songs.)
- Go kayaking with Mr. Snarky (Done! Mr. Snarky and I kayaked around Huntington Harbor on a Orange County getaway)
- Go rollerblading (Not done. Boo.)
- Go to a classical concert (Not done)
- Go out to brunch (Done, also on an Orange County getaway, and then again in Scottsdale over our Thanksgiving break)
- Make a mix CD/playlist of new music (I'm going to try again! I'm sure I can finish this time.)
- Clean out and organize my sock drawer (I felt so great about getting my underwear sorted out last year, this year I'm moving on to socks!)
- Take a San Diego beer tour with Mr. Snarky (Maybe I'll organize this for his birthday this year.... I can say that because he never reads my blog.)
- Go rollerblading (I WILL remember this year.... I will!)
- Go kayaking with Mr. Snarky (because we both love to kayak, and it is one of the few active things we can do together without stress. We get separate kayaks- the tandems are arguments waiting to happen- but I can keep up reasonably well, and he doesn't mind stopping now and then to wait since the scenery is so nice.)
- Learn how to make a second type of New Zealand savory pie. (I've got steak and cheese down. One of these days, I'll post the recipe. I am not sure what type of filling to tackle next, but I think it is time to branch out!)
- Learn how to make a great margarita (because the ones in the restaurants we can go with the kids are usually pretty disappointing. I will also continue my search for the best margarita in a family friendly setting in San Diego, though....)
- Take a bubble bath (so that I remember this year, too)
- Go indoor rock climbing (this was the most popular suggestion when I asked my Twitter friends what other sporty thing I should try)
- Try a new restaurant (we go out so rarely that we tend to stick with our "old favorites." I think it is time to try some new places)
- Try stand up paddleboarding (I see this all the time on Mission Bay, and also in Orange County... I want to try!)
- Catch up on Scalzi's Old Man's War universe. (I think I just need Zoe's Tale and Human Division to be up to date...)
I think it is a pretty good list this year. Maybe I can get through all of them!
I've also decided to publicly commit to three professional growth type goals for 2014. It is not that these aren't fun- I think all of them will be. But they will take a lot of effort, probably over multiple months, so they didn't seem like "fun list" entries. It happens that none of these are relevant to my current job, but I've decided that doesn't matter. They are me stretching skills for which people might pay me. Here they are:
- Expand Tungsten Hippo to include collections
- Finish my third children's story (the second one is due out later in 2014!)
- Publish an app (probably Android, since I have Android devices, but if I decide to do an iOS app instead, that would be fine as far as the goal is concerned)
And I have one thing that I will call an "intention"- it isn't quite a resolution, because I don't think it is something I can ever really say is accomplished. But it is something I want to work on this year: I want to rebuild my yoga and meditation practice. I still occasionally meditate and occasionally do yoga, but I've lost any continuity so cannot call either a true practice. I miss the good feelings that came from having continuity, and want to try to build back to that.
Do you have resolutions, intentions, goals, or fun list items that you want to share? Leave them (or a link to your post about them) in the comments!